HTB User Group on-line Forum
19 Dec 2018, 07:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Due to an excessive amount of spam registrations on the forum I have decided to disable the option for user self registration on the forum.
To join the forum please use the contact form on http://www.htbug.org/contact
To join please include the following information:
 - Full name
 - Company name
 - Company e-mail address, g-mail/yahoo/hotmail addresses are not approved
 - User name (if not included I will make one, usually based on email)
 - Reason why you are joining eg. working for company using HTB, consultant, recruiter...
Please note that all applications will be manually approved and it is not possible to post to the forum until you are approved.
Only companies, individuals or organizations that have a legitimate interest in HTB Forum will be approved.
Sorry for the "red-tape" but we receive to many spam registrations.

/Forum Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding a new code to an existing Coding Scheme  (Read 6359 times)
Louis V. Frolio
HTBUG Standard Users

« on: 25 Sep 2010, 04:48 »

Greetings, I was hoping someone might be able to help with an problem I am having.
I just created a coding scheme and uploaded some codes via: Healthcare ETS Terminology Loader and Healthcare ETS Terminology Importer. I made the scheme editable and active. I now want to add a new code (concept) to this scheme but can't quite figure out how to go about it.  My first approach was to simply redo the steps to create the scheme with the only difference being the codes file and the supporting control file.  However, when I run the loader it errors out with:

[0 sec.] HCT Loader Log
[0 sec.] Load began Fri Sep 24 18:50:26 BST 2010.
[0 sec.] Load using control file: /home/applhtb/terminology2.ctl
[0 sec.] Load Sequence: 8
[0 sec.] Installed languages: en-US
[0 sec.]
[0 sec.] Loading using the change history type: INTRAVERSION
[0 sec.]
[0 sec.] Load failed
[0 sec.] A version of the editable terminology AA_BB_LOUISCODESCHEME 090366 already exists. Editable terminologies cannot have more than a single version.

[0 sec.] Load cleaned up successfully
[0 sec.]
[0 sec.]
[0 sec.]
[0 sec.] Loaded ISO language codes: []
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Attached are the files I am using to move data into HTB's ETS:

terminology.tab <- Original code scheme loaded
terminology.ctl <- control file

terminology2.tab <- file with new code i want to add
terminology2.ctl <- control file

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Henrik Ring
HTBUG Moderators

« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2010, 18:19 »

Hi Louis,

It has been a while since I used the ETS loader, so I could quite possible be wrong on this.
As far as I remember when using "editable" terminologies it is only possible create the initial version using the loader; subsequent updates must be done using the ETS Java API.
Editable terminologies can only have one version.

Perhaps others can confirm or correct the above.

Henrik Ring
Information System Architect
CSC health care EMEA
Louis V. Frolio
HTBUG Standard Users

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2010, 22:44 »

Henrik, so the only way to add to a code set it through the java api which means we have to write our own U.I. for the end user.  In our case our end users are going to want to add codes on a weekly if not daily basis.  It would be nice if HTB provided (out of the box) a form to allow the end user to make changes to their code sets.
Henrik Ring
HTBUG Moderators

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2010, 00:16 »

Hi Louis,
Yes you should probably do a UI for the end user; but I suppose you would have to do so for the ETS loader feature anyway. At least for preparing the control and data file?
You could do a command line loader using the Java API. It would be simple to code and could fairly easily be semi-automated with a shell script. The approach we have taken is a command line loader that consumes a csv-spreadsheet file format.
The ETS loader I know from version 5 is actually not more end-user ready than a command line.

Henrik Ring
Information System Architect
CSC health care EMEA
John Hatem
HTBUG Moderators

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2010, 01:13 »

The Implementation Guide for HTB 6.1 documents what you need to do to use the Editable Terminology features. 

You cannot version an Editable Terminology.  But you can use the UI to add new concepts or to deactivate an existing concept.  Other functions are supported to. 

Here is an excerpt from the Implementation Guide.  Note if you have an Oracle Support contract, you can also file an SR and get help from one of the HTB support staff. 

Implementing Editable Coding Schemes
Because user-defined terminologies frequently change, ETS lets you edit generic coding schemes in place, without loading a new version. You can define generic coding schemes as editable when they are being created.

Note: The following terminologies supported by ETS cannot be designated as editable. They are created as non-editable by default when ETS is installed:

CPT4

FDB4

HCPCS-2

HL7 v3

ICD-10

ICD-9-CM-DRG

ICD-9-CM-MDC

ICD-9-CM-V1

ICD-9-CM-V3

LOINC

SNOMED CT

Although editable coding schemes can be updated using ETS APIs, editable coding schemes cannot be updated by loading a new version, because they can have only one version.

Caution: Do not attempt to load new versions for an editable coding scheme, other than the original version.

Creating an Editable Coding Scheme

You can create an editable coding scheme by using the ETS window user interface or the HTB Call interface. Using the window user interface, you can create an editable coding scheme by creating a new generic coding scheme and checking Create as Editable Coding Scheme. Using the HTB Call interface, you can create an editable coding scheme by creating a new generic coding scheme with the editable attribute set to true. After the coding scheme is created, you can edit the original version, but a new version is not permitted.

Loading an Editable Terminology

An initial version of the editable coding scheme must be created and loaded before it is used. Use the generic terminology loader to load an editable coding scheme version.

See Also

Loading and Activating Coding Scheme Versions

Editing an Editable Coding Scheme

Editing concepts, descriptions, and relationships is limited to addition and removal of attributes, changing status, and changing a description's preferred status. Other changes are made by retiring a component and adding a new component in its place. For example, a description's text cannot be changed, but the description can be retired and a new description added to replace it. The new description can optionally be designated preferred.

- John
Louis V. Frolio
HTBUG Standard Users

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2010, 05:27 »

John, I don't quite understand if you answered my question or not.  I understand you can add concepts to a concept list, I also understand how to create editable terminologies.  What is not clear from both your post and the documentation is how I go about adding a user defined code to a user defined Coding Scheme (which was initially loaded via the terminology loader).  I am able to create the editable UDF coding scheme with a list of codes I made up, I am also able to publish it and have it show up in HTB Admin console under the "ETS" tab.  What I want to do is to add another user defined code to this coding scheme via the gui interface provided by the HTB admin console.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Louis.
John Hatem
HTBUG Moderators

« Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2010, 03:26 »

There is no specific function in the ETS UI that supports adding in a new concept to an existing Editable Terminology coding scheme.  It is possible to add concepts using the "loader" via the UI.  At a high level you must load it using the same loader files that have been edited to add the new concepts.  The control file must have the OVERWRITE option set to true. You MUST also use the exact same version number that they used when they originally loaded the terminology.   I should have some sample files that I will upload later. 
Louis V. Frolio
HTBUG Standard Users

« Reply #7 on: 05 Nov 2010, 23:51 »

Thanks John.

Louis.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: